Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Here's What The Big I-90 Closure Will Look Like. How Will You Survive?
- Study Finds MRSA 'Superbug' Lurking At Washington Firehouses
- 5 Reasons Eating Bugs Could Save The World, According To Seattle's Own 'Bug Chef'
- When A Bomb Goes Off During Your Study On Trauma: New UW Findings On PTSD
- Report Shows Coal, Oil Trains Would Quadruple Rail Traffic, Alarming Lawmakers
News & Music Contributors
surprise tiger cub birth
Thu April 18, 2013
Zoo's Sumatran tiger gives surprise birth to cub
No one at Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium knew Jaya, the Sumatran tiger, was expecting.
So imagine their surprise when the 9-year-old tiger gave birth to a healthy cub Tuesday night.
Weighing just 2.5 pounds, the female cub is said to be healthy, as is the mom.
But Jaya doesn’t seem interested in motherhood. In fact, she's shown so little interest that zookeepers on Thursday decided to hand-raise the cub. The newborn is being bottle-fed a special formula every three hours.
“The cub needed nourishment its mother wasn’t providing,” said zoo general curator Karen Goodrowe Beck.
The cub's father, 4‐year‐old Malosi, lives in the zoo's Asian Forest Sanctuary with Jaya and several other tigers.
The cub has not yet been named.