Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Here's What The Big I-90 Closure Will Look Like. How Will You Survive?
- Study Finds MRSA 'Superbug' Lurking At Washington Firehouses
- 5 Reasons Eating Bugs Could Save The World, According To Seattle's Own 'Bug Chef'
- Washington Secretly Competed For Tesla ‘Gigafactory' Worth Thousands Of Jobs
- When A Bomb Goes Off During Your Study On Trauma: New UW Findings On PTSD
News & Music Contributors
Food for Thought
Wed April 4, 2012
Would you buy meat from some guy at a gas station?
KPLU jazz host Paige Hansen did. Here's how it went down.
Paige told me she was filling up when the guy at the next pump over asked her if she'd like to buy some meat. And she did. A lot. Since she survived to tell the tale I guess she got away with it okay. In fact she said she and her husband had just eaten one of the steaks the night before "... and it was great."
While researching this post (read: Googling "meat at a gas station") I came across this story from the Merced CA Sun-Star. Of course that's an established shop. Not quite the same thing as buying from some random dude the next pump over, is it?
Still, what with recent lurid tales of pink slime in the hamburger, I've been thinking about some alternatives to supermarket meat. Nancy and I are talking about going in on a direct-from-the-farmer buy. I suggested we start with a chicken but she's after bigger game. Keep watching this space for further reports on our quest.
And please share your tale of unusual purchases at gas stations or other unlikely venues.
Meanwhile, as long as we're talking about gas station food...
"What are the best (food) choices one could make ... at a gas station?"
"...drive to a grocery store."
– comments at caloriecount.com
“Food for Thought” is a weekly KPLU feature covering the world of food as well as the thinking that goes into it. The feature is published here and airs on KPLU 88.5 every Wednesday during Morning Edition and All Things Considered.