Most Active Stories
- Five things you should know about the proposed marijuana rules
- 3 pulled from Skagit River after I-5 bridge collapse in Mount Vernon
- Daredevil photographer posts photos taken at dizzying heights
- 'Pot-bellied' pig: Local butcher spikes pig feed with weed
- 'Staggering' rate hike under Obamacare no longer likely
News & Music Contributors
Wildfire closes US Highway 97, forces evacuations in Wash.
YAKIMA, Wash. — A wildfire has closed U.S. Highway 97 between Goldendale and Toppenish and is threatening about 30 homes.
Jim Duck of the state Department of Natural Resource told the Yakima Herald-Republic (http://bit.ly/riK3qF) that the fire is burning in a forested area near Brooks Memorial State Park, about 3 miles west of the Satus Pass summit.
Residents on Satus Pass are being evacuated. Firefighters from the state and Klickitat County are battling the blaze.
The National Weather Service has issued a red flag warning for high wildfire danger over most of Washington's Cascades and Olympics through Wednesday night because of warm, dry conditions.