Most Active Stories
- Public Party Planned for One-Year Anniversary of Legal Pot
- ‘Can We Buy a Little Less and Share a Little More?’
- Mass: Bundle Up! Worst of the Cold Snap to Arrive this Weekend
- St. Louis Machinists President: Keep 777X in Washington
- Join Us for the 17th Annual KPLU Christmas Jam Holiday Concert and Live Broadcast
News & Music Contributors
Wildfire closes US Highway 97, forces evacuations in Wash.
YAKIMA, Wash. — A wildfire has closed U.S. Highway 97 between Goldendale and Toppenish and is threatening about 30 homes.
Jim Duck of the state Department of Natural Resource told the Yakima Herald-Republic (http://bit.ly/riK3qF) that the fire is burning in a forested area near Brooks Memorial State Park, about 3 miles west of the Satus Pass summit.
Residents on Satus Pass are being evacuated. Firefighters from the state and Klickitat County are battling the blaze.
The National Weather Service has issued a red flag warning for high wildfire danger over most of Washington's Cascades and Olympics through Wednesday night because of warm, dry conditions.