Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Bellingham Store First To Open, Sell Legal Pot In Wash., Seattle Store Follows
- Where The First State-Licensed Pot Shops Are, And Why Some Will Wait To Open
- The Map Of Native American Tribes You've Never Seen Before
- Little-Known Medical Marijuana Loophole Allows Teens To Get Lots of Pot
- Deaf Student Claims Medical School In Yakima Denied Him Access
News & Music Contributors
Wed September 7, 2011
Wildfire closes US Highway 97, forces evacuations in Wash.
YAKIMA, Wash. — A wildfire has closed U.S. Highway 97 between Goldendale and Toppenish and is threatening about 30 homes.
Jim Duck of the state Department of Natural Resource told the Yakima Herald-Republic (http://bit.ly/riK3qF) that the fire is burning in a forested area near Brooks Memorial State Park, about 3 miles west of the Satus Pass summit.
Residents on Satus Pass are being evacuated. Firefighters from the state and Klickitat County are battling the blaze.
The National Weather Service has issued a red flag warning for high wildfire danger over most of Washington's Cascades and Olympics through Wednesday night because of warm, dry conditions.