Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Here's What The Big I-90 Closure Will Look Like. How Will You Survive?
- Study Finds MRSA 'Superbug' Lurking At Washington Firehouses
- When A Bomb Goes Off During Your Study On Trauma: New UW Findings On PTSD
- Report Shows Coal, Oil Trains Would Quadruple Rail Traffic, Alarming Lawmakers
- 5 Reasons Eating Bugs Could Save The World, According To Seattle's Own 'Bug Chef'
News & Music Contributors
Thu August 18, 2011
Wildfire closes Highway 2 near Leavenworth
LEAVENWORTH, Wash. – About 90 firefighters are working to contain a 100-acre blaze that is burning in steep terrain northeast of Leavenworth and has forced the closure of Highway 2.
The fire is burning in a mix of grass, shrubs and conifers about 6 miles from Leavenworth. No structures have burned or are threatened by the fire.
Highway 2 remains closed between milepost 84 and milepost 99. Vehicles are being detoured onto the Chumstick Highway.
U.S. Forest Service spokeswoman Susan Peterson says Highway 2 will remain closed Thursday while firefighters work to contain the blaze.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.