Most Active Stories
- Public Party Planned for One-Year Anniversary of Legal Pot
- ‘Can We Buy a Little Less and Share a Little More?’
- Mass: Bundle Up! Worst of the Cold Snap to Arrive this Weekend
- St. Louis Machinists President: Keep 777X in Washington
- Join Us for the 17th Annual KPLU Christmas Jam Holiday Concert and Live Broadcast
News & Music Contributors
White House: Obama to return 5 percent of salary
The White House says President BarackObama will return 5 percent of his salary to the Treasury in light of automatic spending cuts that have led to furloughs for thousands of federal workers.
A White House official says Obama decided to return part of his salary each month for the rest of the year to share in the sacrifice that government employees are making. The official wasn't authorized to discuss the decision publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity.
The president makes $400,000 per year. A 5 percent pay cut amounts to a little less than 1,700 per month.
The decision is retroactive to the beginning of March. That's when $85 billion in federal spending cuts kicked in after lawmakers failed to agree on a plan to undo them.