Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- 'We Don't Know Each Other': Film Explores Tension Between Africans & African Americans
- Here's What The Big I-90 Closure Will Look Like. How Will You Survive?
- Study Finds MRSA 'Superbug' Lurking At Washington Firehouses
- Washington Secretly Competed For Tesla ‘Gigafactory' Worth Thousands Of Jobs
- 5 Reasons Eating Bugs Could Save The World, According To Seattle's Own 'Bug Chef'
News & Music Contributors
Thu March 21, 2013
Watch: Mesmerizing time-lapse video of northern lights
The skies over Alaska lit up with “one of the best displays (of the northern lights) seen in recent memory” last Saturday, according to the photographer who captured it.
Loren Holmes witnessed the awe-inspiring phenomenon from Eureka, approximately 120 miles northeast of Anchorage.
“With not a cloud in the sky, the ribbons stretched 180 degrees,” Holmes wrote on AlaskaDispatch.com. “As the night went on, the greens gave way to red, purple and blue. At times the entire sky was filled with light, easily overpowering the moon. Looking straight up we caught a glimpse of a rare coronal aurora, where the lights seemed to come down right over us.”