Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Central Wash. Home To Nation's Biggest Bitcoin Mine, More Coming
- Grieving Widow Helps Spearhead First-Of-Its-Kind State Law On Suicide Prevention
- Everything You Need To Know About Woodland Park Zoo's Precious Doo
- Seattle-Area Skygazers May See Glimpse Of 'Blood Moon' — If They're Persistent
- TurboTax Offers Taxpayers Option Of Getting Refund In Amazon Gift Card
News & Music Contributors
Thu March 21, 2013
Watch: Mesmerizing time-lapse video of northern lights
The skies over Alaska lit up with “one of the best displays (of the northern lights) seen in recent memory” last Saturday, according to the photographer who captured it.
Loren Holmes witnessed the awe-inspiring phenomenon from Eureka, approximately 120 miles northeast of Anchorage.
“With not a cloud in the sky, the ribbons stretched 180 degrees,” Holmes wrote on AlaskaDispatch.com. “As the night went on, the greens gave way to red, purple and blue. At times the entire sky was filled with light, easily overpowering the moon. Looking straight up we caught a glimpse of a rare coronal aurora, where the lights seemed to come down right over us.”