Most Active Stories
- Public Party Planned for One-Year Anniversary of Legal Pot
- ‘Can We Buy a Little Less and Share a Little More?’
- Mass: Bundle Up! Worst of the Cold Snap to Arrive this Weekend
- St. Louis Machinists President: Keep 777X in Washington
- Join Us for the 17th Annual KPLU Christmas Jam Holiday Concert and Live Broadcast
News & Music Contributors
Update: 520 toll system fixed after electrical problem
An electrical glitch caused the new toll system on the Highway 520 bridge to malfunction Tuesday morning, meaning drivers crossed the span for hours without being charged.
The state Department of Transportation said there were no tolls charged from about 6:30 a.m. until the problem was fixed, shortly after 12 p.m.
The tolls, which began late last month, are expected to raise about $1 billion toward the $4.7 billion cost of replacing the 49-year-old bridge. The new floating bridge between Seattle and its eastside suburbs is expected to open in 2014.