Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Grieving Widow Helps Spearhead First-Of-Its-Kind State Law On Suicide Prevention
- Everything You Need To Know About Woodland Park Zoo's Precious Doo
- Seattle-Area Skygazers May See Glimpse Of 'Blood Moon' — If They're Persistent
- Join Dick Stein And Nancy Leson For A Food For Thought 'Happy Hour'
- TurboTax Offers Taxpayers Option Of Getting Refund In Amazon Gift Card
News & Music Contributors
Thu December 1, 2011
UO Faculty Express Anger at Higher Ed Board
The University of Oregon Statutory Faculty formally condemned the State Board of Higher Education Wednesday for firing President Richard Lariviere. The statutory faculty consists of tenured and non-tenured professors. Students, staff and members of the public also attended the special meeting.
About a thousand people attended the meeting at the U of O's Mac Court. During a question and answer period lasting more than an hour, faculty and students expressed their frustration and anger to University System Chancellor George Pernsteiner and State Higher Education Board member Lynda Ciuffetti. The Board Monday fired President Lariviere, citing personnel issues. Robert Melnick is a professor and former dean of the School of Architecture and Allied Arts.
Melnick: "Like others throughout the U of O Community, and I mean the international community, I have been sickened and stabbed in the back by your actions. You have sent the message that innovation, creativity and excellence in higher education are really not welcome in the state of Oregon."
At the close of the meeting, the statutory faculty passed a motion to condemn the board for firing President Lariviere, they also approved a motion to establish an independent board for the U of O. Those motions become part of the public record.
Copyright 2011 KLCC.