Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- UW's MOOC On Public Speaking Proving To Be Massively Popular
- How To Make Your Own Crème Fraîche — And Why You Should
- Washington's 'Pot Czar' Says Legal Marijuana Could Be Too Cheap
- Washington's 'Swift And Certain' Parole Reforms Getting Results And Attention
- Seattle Artist Turning Centuries-Old Pieces Of Wood Into One-Of-A-Kind Sculptures
News & Music Contributors
Thu April 5, 2012
'Three Cups' author Mortenson mismanaged group
HELENA, Mont. — An investigative report has concluded that "Three Cups of Tea" author Greg Mortenson mismanaged the charity he co-founded to build schools in Pakistan and Afghanistan.
The Montana Attorney General's office report released Thursday found Mortenson spent Central Asia Institute money on personal items, family vacations and charter flights.
It says Mortenson's control went largely unchallenged by the two other board members.
The yearlong investigation says CAI still has a strong financial outlook, but it needs better oversight so that too much control is not in one person's hands.
A settlement agreement says Mortenson has already been removed as executive director and calls for additional changes to the organization's structure.
It also requires Mortenson to reimburse the charity more than $1 million. He has already repaid nearly half that amount.