Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Bellingham Store First To Open, Sell Legal Pot In Wash., Seattle Store Follows
- Where The First State-Licensed Pot Shops Are, And Why Some Will Wait To Open
- Get The Best Seats To 'Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me!' Before They Go On Sale!
- Record Number Of King Co. Teens Pledging To Good Grades, Behavior For Free College
- King County Data Shows Heroin Deaths Among Young Adults On The Rise
News & Music Contributors
Tue March 12, 2013
Is there a new pope? There's an app for that
Want to know the minute the Vatican has a new pope? There’s an app for that.
The aptly-named app Conclave, which includes a live stream of the Sistine Chapel's chimney, says its users will be “among the first to see the white smoke rise.”
And it appears Conclave has company.
Popealarm.com promises to notify users “as soon as the smoke [rising from the Sistine Chapel] turns white!”
White smoke billowing from the chapel’s chimney signals a new pope has been chosen. Thousands of people have been known to gather in St. Peter’s Square to watch for the smoke signal in person.
“You could be asleep or busy doing something and miss the [announcement] ‘Habemus Papam!’” – “We have a pope!” in English – says the free site created by Focus.org, a fellowship of Catholic college students. Users can sign up to be notified via email, text message, or both.
Followers of the conclave can also visit the Guardian newspaper’s no-fuss site istherewhitesmoke.com for a quick update. There, visitors will find an animated replica of the Sistine Chapel’s chimney with, for now, black smoke billowing over the word “No” in bold, can’t-miss print.
And for gaming types, there is fantasyconclave.com, which encourages users to join the Fantasy Conclave for a chance to win sponsor-provided prizes. There is no fee to join, and “there’s no risk or wager involved,” according to the site.