Most Active Stories
- Five things you should know about the proposed marijuana rules
- Daredevil photographer posts photos taken at dizzying heights
- 3 pulled from Skagit River after I-5 bridge collapse in Mount Vernon
- 'Pot-bellied' pig: Local butcher spikes pig feed with weed
- 'Staggering' rate hike under Obamacare no longer likely
News & Music Contributors
Teen wakes up sleeping bus driver in Washington
TACOMA, Wash. — An alert Washington state teenager likely prevented an accident when he woke up a sleeping bus driver who had nodded off at the wheel while entering an Interstate 5 onramp in Tacoma.
A surveillance camera on the school bus recorded 17-year-old Emmanuel Williams jump from his seat and rush to the front of the bus after seeing the driver's head go down.
Williams told KOMO News that he had noticed the driver act strangely from the moment he picked up the students at Mount Tahoma High School. Williams says the driver's eyes kept closing and he swerved on city streets.
Tacoma Public Schools says the 65-year-old driver is an eight-year veteran with a clean driving record, but the district is investigating the mishap.
About 25 students were on the bus.