Most Active Stories
- Five things you should know about the proposed marijuana rules
- Daredevil photographer posts photos taken at dizzying heights
- 3 pulled from Skagit River after I-5 bridge collapse in Mount Vernon
- 'Pot-bellied' pig: Local butcher spikes pig feed with weed
- 'Staggering' rate hike under Obamacare no longer likely
News & Music Contributors
Taylor Bridge Fire 100 percent contained
CLE ELUM, Wash. – Firefighting officials say a stubborn wildfire that destroyed dozens of homes in central Washington has been completely contained after a two-week fight.
Spokesmen for the Taylor Bridge Fire announced full containment Tuesday evening. The blaze that started Aug. 13 east of Cle Elum has burned more than 36 square miles, or 23,500 acres, about 75 miles east of Seattle.
The number of firefighters has been reduced from hundreds to just 40, who continue work to douse hot spots within the fire perimeter.
Authorities have confirmed 61 homes and 35 outbuildings were destroyed and about seven other properties were damaged.
The fire started near a bridge construction site, though the exact cause remains under investigation.