Most Active Stories
- Mystery man revealed : The daredevil behind the lens
- Skagit Valley eatery goes for the laughs to attract business
- Watch: Seattle Public Library tries to break record for longest book-domino chain
- North Cascades Nat'l Park named one of 10 'hidden gems' in U.S.
- Epiphany! Make an iceberg-blue cheese layer cake
News & Music Contributors
Tacoma man not alone with grill brush horror story
Federal regulators are looking into a health hazard that sent a Tacoma man to the hospital over the weekend.
Adam Wojtanowicz ate a grilled steak, and ended up in surgery. It had nothing to do with the meat, or even cooking with fire – no, Wojtanowicz actually ingested a metal bristle from the wire brush used to clean the grill. That little whisker of steel can wreak havoc on the digestive system, puncturing intestines or other organs.
It turns out to be a rare but not unique injury.
But it’s enough to make even an experienced grillmaster squeamish, such as Derrick Williams, vice president of the Pacific Northwest Barbecue Association.
“You know if your brush is old with a lot of gunk on it and grease, you should be careful. You should try to change your brush at least twice a year,” said Williams.
He also suggests a scrub pad or high pressure hose to clean off gunk.
You could also try an alternative products, such as The Grillion (yes, it is for real):
Public health authorities haven’t identified any particular brand of brush that’s especially dangerous. The Consumer Products Safety Commission is looking into the phenomenon, after Senator Charles Schumer requested an inquiry in May. A spokesman for the agency said this issue hadn’t even been on their radar before Schumer brought it up.