Most Active Stories
- Five things you should know about the proposed marijuana rules
- Daredevil photographer posts photos taken at dizzying heights
- 3 pulled from Skagit River after I-5 bridge collapse in Mount Vernon
- 'Pot-bellied' pig: Local butcher spikes pig feed with weed
- 'Staggering' rate hike under Obamacare no longer likely
News & Music Contributors
Tacoma Mall shooter in prison incident; one killed in escape attempt
The Washington Department of Corrections says one inmate was killed Wednesday during an escape attempt at the Clallam Bay Corrections Facility.
Spokesman Chad Lewis says that just after 10 a.m., a corrections officer was taken hostage by a prisoner with a pair of scissors. At the same time, another prisoner drove a forklift through the doors of the work area and into the prison fence.
A corrections officer shot and killed the forklift driver, who has been identified as 25-year-old Kevin Newland. He was serving a 45-year sentence for first degree murder in Spokane County.
Lewis says the hostage situation ended with minor injuries to the guard. The second prisoner has been identified as 25-year-old Dominick Maldonado, who is serving a 163-year sentence for numerous charges related to a 2005 shooting in the Tacoma Mall.
Related coverage of Dominick Maldonado and the 2005 Tacoma Mall shooting incident.