Most Active Stories
- Mass On Friday Snow Forecast: Latest Models Show 'This Front Is Coming'
- Mass: 'Extensive Lowland Snow' Likely Friday Morning
- Why Washington State Was Named #1 Most Innovative State By Bloomberg
- State Officials Seize Cold Snap, Freeze Out Invasive Snails In Capitol Lake
- Organic Milk More Nutritious than Regular Milk, WSU Study Finds
News & Music Contributors
Wed June 29, 2011
Tacoma Mall shooter in prison incident; one killed in escape attempt
The Washington Department of Corrections says one inmate was killed Wednesday during an escape attempt at the Clallam Bay Corrections Facility.
Spokesman Chad Lewis says that just after 10 a.m., a corrections officer was taken hostage by a prisoner with a pair of scissors. At the same time, another prisoner drove a forklift through the doors of the work area and into the prison fence.
A corrections officer shot and killed the forklift driver, who has been identified as 25-year-old Kevin Newland. He was serving a 45-year sentence for first degree murder in Spokane County.
Lewis says the hostage situation ended with minor injuries to the guard. The second prisoner has been identified as 25-year-old Dominick Maldonado, who is serving a 163-year sentence for numerous charges related to a 2005 shooting in the Tacoma Mall.
Related coverage of Dominick Maldonado and the 2005 Tacoma Mall shooting incident.