Most Active Stories
- Public Party Planned for One-Year Anniversary of Legal Pot
- ‘Can We Buy a Little Less and Share a Little More?’
- Mass: Bundle Up! Worst of the Cold Snap to Arrive this Weekend
- St. Louis Machinists President: Keep 777X in Washington
- Join Us for the 17th Annual KPLU Christmas Jam Holiday Concert and Live Broadcast
News & Music Contributors
Foodf for Thought
Stein to Leson: Fig-geddaboudit!
I won't even go near a Fig Newton, but Nancy loves them so much she even makes her own as seen in the second picture above.
I'd always thought that other than my ex's potted Ficus, figs only grew in the Middle East. Who knew that a-figianados of the fruit were cultivating them right here in the Pacific Northwest. Everyone, apparently, but me.
In this week's Food for Thought, Nancy tells of Seattle's Fig King, Bill Farhat, who, on a quarter-acre behind his Seattle home, is growing 35 fig trees plus loquats and Persian plums. She's got video, too.
"I've never turned over a fig leaf yet that didn't have a price tag on the other side."
– Saul Bellow