Most Active Stories
- Public Party Planned for One-Year Anniversary of Legal Pot
- ‘Can We Buy a Little Less and Share a Little More?’
- Mass: Bundle Up! Worst of the Cold Snap to Arrive this Weekend
- St. Louis Machinists President: Keep 777X in Washington
- Join Us for the 17th Annual KPLU Christmas Jam Holiday Concert and Live Broadcast
News & Music Contributors
Seattle viaduct to shut down for 9 days in October
SEATTLE — The Transportation Department is holding a news conference Monday in Seattle to announce plans to shut down the Alaskan Way Viaduct for nine days in October.
Crews will demolish a section of the viaduct near Safeco Field and CenturyLink Field and build a detour.
The Seattle Times reports it's part of $3 billion project to replace the aging viaduct. The section of Highway 99 south of downtown will remain above ground, and a tunnel will take a section under downtown Seattle.