Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Seattle Business Owners Turn To An Unlikely Source Of Consultants: UW Undergrads
- Join Dick Stein And Nancy Leson For A Food For Thought 'Happy Hour'
- Grieving Widow Helps Spearhead First-Of-Its-Kind State Law On Suicide Prevention
- Washington Becomes First State To Lose 'No Child Left Behind' Waiver
- Obama To Slide Victims, Responders: 'We'll Be Here As Long As It Takes'
News & Music Contributors
Wed April 17, 2013
S.C. House approves $120M for Boeing expansion
Legislation giving the Boeing Co. $120 million in incentives for their expansion plans in South Carolina is one vote away from reaching the governor's desk.
The House voted 115-2 Wednesday to approve the bill. Another vote would send it to Gov. Nikki Haley, who is sure to sign it. The Senate approved the measure last week.
House Speaker Bobby Harrell made the rare move of coming to the podium to explain the deal he helped negotiate with Senate Finance Committee Chairman Hugh Leatherman.
Boeing announced last week it will invest another $1 billion and create 2,000 new jobs over eight years in North Charleston. The borrowing bill will cover the upfront costs of buying and improving the land. The Boeing complex in North Charleston already employs about 6,000 people.