Most Active Stories
- Public Party Planned for One-Year Anniversary of Legal Pot
- ‘Can We Buy a Little Less and Share a Little More?’
- Mass: Bundle Up! Worst of the Cold Snap to Arrive this Weekend
- St. Louis Machinists President: Keep 777X in Washington
- Join Us for the 17th Annual KPLU Christmas Jam Holiday Concert and Live Broadcast
News & Music Contributors
Roosevelt High jazz band places 3rd at Essentially Ellington festival
Seattle's own Roosevelt High School's jazz band took third place at the prestigious Essentially Ellington festival in New York this weekend.
The Tucson Jazz Institute placed first, and Jazz House Kids of Montclair, New Jersey came in second.
This is the second year Roosevelt has placed in the top three at the festival. The band took second place last year.
The festival, a competition of the 15 finalists from U.S. and Canada, is held at the Lincoln Center every year.
Two other local high schools placed in the top 15 this year. Bands from Garfield High School in Seattle and Edmonds-Woodway High School in Edmonds also traveled to New York to compete this weekend.
Garfield has won the competition four times in past years, and Edmonds-Woodway has been a finalist several times.