Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Grieving Widow Helps Spearhead First-Of-Its-Kind State Law On Suicide Prevention
- Seattle Business Owners Turn To An Unlikely Source Of Consultants: UW Undergrads
- Join Dick Stein And Nancy Leson For A Food For Thought 'Happy Hour'
- Seattle-Area Skygazers May See Glimpse Of 'Blood Moon' — If They're Persistent
- Everything You Need To Know About Woodland Park Zoo's Precious Doo
News & Music Contributors
Thu September 6, 2012
Resources for learning about Latin music
Two informative, fun and in-depth resources for learning about Latin music debuted in 2009: the interactive exhibit American Sabor and the PBS series Latin Music USA.
American Sabor was created by Seattle's Experience Music Project (EMP), and is now on the road, traveling to 13 cities through 2015. It's currently booked through 2013 to end up at the American Jazz Museum in Kansas City, Missouri. The focus is on how Latinos influenced popular music in the US. There's a ton of information on regional Latin music styles, musician's stories and more at the American Sabor website.
Latin Music USA is a PBS documentary, again with the focus on Latinos' influence on American music. There's a bit more history of the music here, especially in the first two hour-long segments. You can watch the entire 4 hour program (in bite-size chunks), get reading recommendations and explore musical styles at the Latin Music USA website. Here's a preview: