Most Active Stories
- Mystery man revealed : The daredevil behind the lens
- Skagit Valley eatery goes for the laughs to attract business
- Watch: Seattle Public Library tries to break record for longest book-domino chain
- North Cascades Nat'l Park named one of 10 'hidden gems' in U.S.
- Epiphany! Make an iceberg-blue cheese layer cake
News & Music Contributors
Resources for learning about Latin music
Two informative, fun and in-depth resources for learning about Latin music debuted in 2009: the interactive exhibit American Sabor and the PBS series Latin Music USA.
American Sabor was created by Seattle's Experience Music Project (EMP), and is now on the road, traveling to 13 cities through 2015. It's currently booked through 2013 to end up at the American Jazz Museum in Kansas City, Missouri. The focus is on how Latinos influenced popular music in the US. There's a ton of information on regional Latin music styles, musician's stories and more at the American Sabor website.
Latin Music USA is a PBS documentary, again with the focus on Latinos' influence on American music. There's a bit more history of the music here, especially in the first two hour-long segments. You can watch the entire 4 hour program (in bite-size chunks), get reading recommendations and explore musical styles at the Latin Music USA website. Here's a preview: