Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- 'We Don't Know Each Other': Film Explores Tension Between Africans & African Americans
- Here's What The Big I-90 Closure Will Look Like. How Will You Survive?
- Study Finds MRSA 'Superbug' Lurking At Washington Firehouses
- Washington Secretly Competed For Tesla ‘Gigafactory' Worth Thousands Of Jobs
- 5 Reasons Eating Bugs Could Save The World, According To Seattle's Own 'Bug Chef'
News & Music Contributors
Thu September 6, 2012
Resources for learning about Latin music
Two informative, fun and in-depth resources for learning about Latin music debuted in 2009: the interactive exhibit American Sabor and the PBS series Latin Music USA.
American Sabor was created by Seattle's Experience Music Project (EMP), and is now on the road, traveling to 13 cities through 2015. It's currently booked through 2013 to end up at the American Jazz Museum in Kansas City, Missouri. The focus is on how Latinos influenced popular music in the US. There's a ton of information on regional Latin music styles, musician's stories and more at the American Sabor website.
Latin Music USA is a PBS documentary, again with the focus on Latinos' influence on American music. There's a bit more history of the music here, especially in the first two hour-long segments. You can watch the entire 4 hour program (in bite-size chunks), get reading recommendations and explore musical styles at the Latin Music USA website. Here's a preview: