Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Bellingham Store First To Open, Sell Legal Pot In Wash., Seattle Store Follows
- Where The First State-Licensed Pot Shops Are, And Why Some Will Wait To Open
- Get The Best Seats To 'Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me!' Before They Go On Sale!
- Record Number Of King Co. Teens Pledging To Good Grades, Behavior For Free College
- King County Data Shows Heroin Deaths Among Young Adults On The Rise
News & Music Contributors
Wed March 20, 2013
Report: Seattle considering entering bid for 2024 Olympics
The Seattle Sports Commission has begun informally exploring the possibility of hosting the 2024 Summer Olympic Games, Sportspress Northwest reported.
“It’s not a bid; it’s just an opportunity for us to consider whether we want to be considered,” Ralph Morton, executive director of the commission told Sportspress Northwest.
Seattle was one of 35 states approached in February by the U.S. Olympic Committee in search of cities interested in bidding for the 2024 Summer Games.
The USOC sent letters to the mayors of 35 cities — including Portland — to gauge interest in a potential bid to bring the Summer Olympics back to the country for the first time since 1996.
The letters were sent to mayors of the country's 25 largest cities -- including New York, Chicago and former Olympic host cities Los Angeles, Atlanta and St. Louis -- and 10 others.
Other cities around the world that have expressed interest in bidding for the 2024 Games include Paris; Rome; Doha, Dubai; and Durban, South Africa. The IOC vote on the 2024 Games will be in 2017.
The USOC is skipping the bidding for the 2020 Olympics. The three candidates for those games are Istanbul, Madrid and Tokyo, with the IOC to vote Sept. 7 in Buenos Aires, Argentina.