Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Here's What The Big I-90 Closure Will Look Like. How Will You Survive?
- Study Finds MRSA 'Superbug' Lurking At Washington Firehouses
- 5 Reasons Eating Bugs Could Save The World, According To Seattle's Own 'Bug Chef'
- When A Bomb Goes Off During Your Study On Trauma: New UW Findings On PTSD
- Report Shows Coal, Oil Trains Would Quadruple Rail Traffic, Alarming Lawmakers
News & Music Contributors
Thu April 4, 2013
Prolific percussion master Paulinho da Costa
Paulinho da Costa was born in Rio de Janeiro, Brasil, and like many master percussionists, started exploring rhythms at a very early age.
Playing over two hundred percussion instruments, he has participated in thousands of recording sessions, Grammy Award-winning albums, hit songs, movie soundtracks, radio and television commercials. He's collaborated with everyone from Dizzy Gillespie and Quincy Jones to Michael Jackson and Lionel Richie.
The National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences presented Paulinho da Costa with its "Most Valuable Player Award" for three consecutive years and the honorary "Musicians Emeritus Award." The Los Angeles Times described him "a virtuoso on percussion" and Downbeat Magazine labeled him "one of the most talented percussionists of our time.”
You'll hear Paulinho with legendary guitarist Joe Pass this week on Jazz Caliente, Thursdays at 2pm on KPLU's Mid Day Jazz.