Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Central Wash. Home To Nation's Biggest Bitcoin Mine, More Coming
- Grieving Widow Helps Spearhead First-Of-Its-Kind State Law On Suicide Prevention
- Everything You Need To Know About Woodland Park Zoo's Precious Doo
- Seattle-Area Skygazers May See Glimpse Of 'Blood Moon' — If They're Persistent
- TurboTax Offers Taxpayers Option Of Getting Refund In Amazon Gift Card
News & Music Contributors
Sports with Art Thiel
Thu June 9, 2011
Preview: Sounders FC to host Vancouver
Another Major League Soccer regional rivalry match takes place Saturday at Qwest Field in Seattle, when the Sounders FC host the Vancouver Whitecaps.
It will be their first MLS match-up, but Seattle and their neighbors to the North have a rich history that dates back to 1974 in the North American Soccer League.
Although it’s a big rivalry, most Sounders fans agree it is NOT as big as the rivalry with the Portland Timbers. The Sounders and Timbers played to a 1-1 draw last month at Qwest Field amid a downpour. Portland and Vancouver are first-year expansion teams in the MLS.
Find out more about this - including all the trouble the Whitecaps have had in their first season - from KPLU sports commentator Art Thiel. Art’s weekly chat with KPLU’s Kirsten Kendrick airs Friday mornings at 5:35 and 7:35 on 88-5 KPLU. A blog of our conversation will be posted here tomorrow.