Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Here's What The Big I-90 Closure Will Look Like. How Will You Survive?
- Report Shows Coal, Oil Trains Would Quadruple Rail Traffic, Alarming Lawmakers
- When A Bomb Goes Off During Your Study On Trauma: New UW Findings On PTSD
- Why Seattle Homeless Advocates Feel Vacant Downtown Building Is Rightfully Theirs
- UW Study Examines New Ways To Involve Immigrant Parents In School Activities
News & Music Contributors
Sports with Art Thiel
Thu June 9, 2011
Preview: Sounders FC to host Vancouver
Another Major League Soccer regional rivalry match takes place Saturday at Qwest Field in Seattle, when the Sounders FC host the Vancouver Whitecaps.
It will be their first MLS match-up, but Seattle and their neighbors to the North have a rich history that dates back to 1974 in the North American Soccer League.
Although it’s a big rivalry, most Sounders fans agree it is NOT as big as the rivalry with the Portland Timbers. The Sounders and Timbers played to a 1-1 draw last month at Qwest Field amid a downpour. Portland and Vancouver are first-year expansion teams in the MLS.
Find out more about this - including all the trouble the Whitecaps have had in their first season - from KPLU sports commentator Art Thiel. Art’s weekly chat with KPLU’s Kirsten Kendrick airs Friday mornings at 5:35 and 7:35 on 88-5 KPLU. A blog of our conversation will be posted here tomorrow.