Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Here's What The Big I-90 Closure Will Look Like. How Will You Survive?
- Study Finds MRSA 'Superbug' Lurking At Washington Firehouses
- Report Shows Coal, Oil Trains Would Quadruple Rail Traffic, Alarming Lawmakers
- When A Bomb Goes Off During Your Study On Trauma: New UW Findings On PTSD
- Why Seattle Homeless Advocates Feel Vacant Downtown Building Is Rightfully Theirs
News & Music Contributors
Mon March 5, 2012
President Obama issues disaster declaration for January snowstorm
It's official now. The January snow and ice storm was a disaster!
President Barack Obama has declared a major disaster exists in 11 Washington counties that were hard hit by the storm during the period of January 14-23, 2012.
Preliminary estimates indicate more than $32 million in eligible damages.
The declaration makes federal funding available to state and local governments, and certain nonprofit organizations, for emergency work and repairs to facilities that were damaged by the storm in Clallam, Grays Harbor, King, Klickitat, Lewis, Mason, Pierce, Skamania, Snohomish, Thurston, and Wahkiakum counties.
Federal Emergency Management Agency grants would cover 75% of eligible disaster related costs.