Most Active Stories
- Five things you should know about the proposed marijuana rules
- Daredevil photographer posts photos taken at dizzying heights
- 3 pulled from Skagit River after I-5 bridge collapse in Mount Vernon
- 'Pot-bellied' pig: Local butcher spikes pig feed with weed
- 'Staggering' rate hike under Obamacare no longer likely
News & Music Contributors
President Obama issues disaster declaration for January snowstorm
It's official now. The January snow and ice storm was a disaster!
President Barack Obama has declared a major disaster exists in 11 Washington counties that were hard hit by the storm during the period of January 14-23, 2012.
Preliminary estimates indicate more than $32 million in eligible damages.
The declaration makes federal funding available to state and local governments, and certain nonprofit organizations, for emergency work and repairs to facilities that were damaged by the storm in Clallam, Grays Harbor, King, Klickitat, Lewis, Mason, Pierce, Skamania, Snohomish, Thurston, and Wahkiakum counties.
Federal Emergency Management Agency grants would cover 75% of eligible disaster related costs.