Most Active Stories
- Public Party Planned for One-Year Anniversary of Legal Pot
- ‘Can We Buy a Little Less and Share a Little More?’
- Mass: Bundle Up! Worst of the Cold Snap to Arrive this Weekend
- St. Louis Machinists President: Keep 777X in Washington
- Join Us for the 17th Annual KPLU Christmas Jam Holiday Concert and Live Broadcast
News & Music Contributors
Oregon Governor calls special session, eyes Nike expansion
Kitzhaber says it would means thousands of new jobs with an economic impact of more than $2 billion over the next eight years. But Nike executives told the governor that other states would be just as happy to host the expansion. So Kitzhaber wants lawmakers to let him sign a contract with the sports apparel giant assuring the company that the state won't change its corporate taxes in the near future. The governor called it "an extraordinary opportunity."
John Kitzhaber: "For a state like Oregon that has serious budget constraints, this is a powerful new economic development tool that does not require the expenditure of new revenue in order to implement it."
Legislative leaders from both parties have expressed support for the governor's proposal. It's the first time an Oregon governor has called a special session since April of 2006.
On the web:
Oregon legislature: http://www.leg.state.or.us/