Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- UW's MOOC On Public Speaking Proving To Be Massively Popular
- Seattle Business Owners: $15 Minimum Wage Could Prove 'Possibly Fatal'
- UW Professor Traces Growing Income Gap To The Collapse Of Organized Labor
- How To Make Your Own Crème Fraîche — And Why You Should
- No Need To Presoak Beans For This Cheese Rind-Flavored Minestrone Recipe
News & Music Contributors
Thu September 22, 2011
Oakridge, Oregon mayor, 3 city councilors survive recall effort
The Mayor of Oakridge, Oregon and three city councilors survived a recall election Tuesday. A financial crisis created turmoil at recent council meetings.
Mayor Don Hampton and councilors Rayetta Clark, Amy Kordosky, and Glenn Fortune are all still in office. But, for the mayor and councilor Fortune, the margin was narrow. Mayor Hampton attributes that to the widespread dissatisfaction people feel with government these days. Hampton says he's heard of the threat of recall used recently in other Oregon communities.
"We need to seek a legislative remedy to what I consider to be the misuse of the recall process. Right now it's being used if you don't happen to agree with an elected official and I don't believe it's the intent of the recall process to use it in that way," Hampton said.
Hampton says he'd like to focus now on resolving the city's financial crisis. It was recently discovered that the town blew through 1.2 million dollars in cash reserves over a two-year period.
Copyright 2011 KLCC.