NPR's links to recent jazz coverage on the internet
By Patrick Jarenwattananon • Dec 23, 2011
Originally published on December 23, 2011 10:41 am
Happy Holidays all. The blog will be active with fresh content early next week, though I will be away. Thanks for reading, and see y'all in 2012.
- Too many year-end lists. Peter Hum files, and points out more. The definitive year-end consensus list, as compiled by Francis Davis, moves from the Village Voice to Rhapsody.com this year — hang on for that.
- Some more Bob Brookmeyer tributes: John Hollenbeck. Ben Ratliff's old Times piece. Carole Sloane. Clark Terry. Darcy James Argue is keeping track of all the links. Go back for the JazzWax interview.
- Sam Newsome, soprano saxophone specialist (especially solo), has been blogging. Here's an interesting piece about "Post-Dave-Douglas Syndrome" and the struggle to keep a project going.
- Wadada Leo Smith is the subject of this epic narrative from Lyn Horton.
- Stefon Harris, vibraphonist, gives a TED talk/performance themed "There are no mistakes on the bandstand." Lyle Mays, keyboardist, on performing quite literal math-jazz at TEDxCaltech, via Jazz Online.
- "How jazz pierced the Iron Curtain": on Vaclav Havel and music.
- A nice story about a young musician who learned to play trumpet without full fingers.
- Booker Little: an old profile from 1961.
- New Jazz Consumer Guide, now independent.
- Washington D.C. jazz best-ofs! Capitalbop on the top five and the honorable mentions. The Post features records with D.C. ties. The local alt-weekly hands out awards. Always nice to see Not-New-York folks caring about the scenes they live in. (Yes, I live here too, but still.)
- Paul McCartney will release a standards album, backed by Diana Krall's band.
- A very Satchmo Christmas, 2011 edition.
- Destination: Out has posted some Okay Temiz and Johnny Dyani bits (I actually know this record!) and a Sam Rivers contest.
- JazzWax on Sonny Stitt's "Varitone" and more.
- The Jazz Session spoke with trombonist James Hirschfeld and percussionist Andrew Cyrille.
- The Checkout presents a Holiday Spectacular with the Matt Wilson Christmas Tree-O.
Elsewhere at NPR Music:
- Chick Corea visits the KPLU/Jazz24 studio for a solo session.
- Steven Bernstein and the MTO visit WFUV for a session of Sly Stone music.
- Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz this week features the Gary Burton episode.
- JazzSet this week features Kenny Barron's trio.
- The NPR Music musicians in memoriam yearly feature. We also remember Bob Brookmeyer, Snooky Young and Ray Bryant, among many others.
- Tigran Hamasyan on Song of the Day.
- John Congleton interview. Here's another thing you can do after getting a jazz composition degree: Make hit rock records.
- We're giving away music, including a Fabian Almazan trio recording. Here, have some.
Copyright 2011 National Public Radio. To see more, visit http://www.npr.org/.