Most Active Stories
- Public Party Planned for One-Year Anniversary of Legal Pot
- ‘Can We Buy a Little Less and Share a Little More?’
- Mass: Bundle Up! Worst of the Cold Snap to Arrive this Weekend
- St. Louis Machinists President: Keep 777X in Washington
- Join Us for the 17th Annual KPLU Christmas Jam Holiday Concert and Live Broadcast
News & Music Contributors
held in north korea
North Korea: Lynnwood man starts life at 'special prison'
North Korea says an American citizen sentenced to 15 years hard labor has started life at a "special prison."
No other details were immediately available Wednesday about Kenneth Bae. Pyongyang said earlier this week that Bae informed his family on Friday that he couldn't appeal his April 30 sentence and that he asked his family to urge Washington to push for his amnesty.
Washington has called for Bae's release.
North Korea accuses Bae of trying to establish an anti-Pyongyang base in the North. There has been no statement from Bae.
Pyongyang denies speculation by outside analysts that it is using Bae to win diplomatic concessions.
Several other detained Americans have been released in recent years after prominent Americans traveled to Pyongyan