Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Here's What The Big I-90 Closure Will Look Like. How Will You Survive?
- Study Finds MRSA 'Superbug' Lurking At Washington Firehouses
- 5 Reasons Eating Bugs Could Save The World, According To Seattle's Own 'Bug Chef'
- When A Bomb Goes Off During Your Study On Trauma: New UW Findings On PTSD
- Report Shows Coal, Oil Trains Would Quadruple Rail Traffic, Alarming Lawmakers
News & Music Contributors
Sun June 30, 2013
New York musicians from Chilliwack and Walla Walla returning for Northwest gigs
The Pacific Northwest has continued to produce an unbroken stream of excellent musicians since the days of Ray Charles, Quincy Jones and Ernestine Anderson. This week on Jazz Northwest, we'll introduce you to Bria Skonberg, a trumpet player and singer from Chilliwack, BC who's now active in New York. She'll return to the Pacific Northwest to teach and perform at Centrum's Jazz Port Townsend at the end of July.
We'll also include music from guitarist Brad Shepik, originally from Walla Walla. Brad graduated from Cornish College in Seattle and earned a Masters Degree from New England Conservatory before establishing a busy career in New York. He's back in Seattle next week to play at The Royal Room on Tuesday night.
Also this week, some recent releases and some picks for best bets for live jazz in the coming week. Jazz Northwest is recorded and produced by Jim Wilke, exclusively for 88.5, KPLU. The program airs and streams Sundays at 2 PM Pacific and is also available as a podcast at kplu.org following the airdate.
Next week: A concert by the Seattle Repertory Jazz Orchestra featuring The Great American Songbook, with guest vocalists Stephanie Porter and Primo Kim.