Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Bellingham Store First To Open, Sell Legal Pot In Wash., Seattle Store Follows
- Where The First State-Licensed Pot Shops Are, And Why Some Will Wait To Open
- Get The Best Seats To 'Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me!' Before They Go On Sale!
- Record Number Of King Co. Teens Pledging To Good Grades, Behavior For Free College
- King County Data Shows Heroin Deaths Among Young Adults On The Rise
News & Music Contributors
Sun May 12, 2013
New CD by Chris Amemiya & Jazz Coalescence debuts on Jazz Northwest, May 12
"In the Rain Shadow," a new release by trombonist Chris Amemiya & Jazz Coalescence is one of the features on this week's Jazz Northwest. This sextet includes several top Northwest jazz musicians, including Jay Thomas, Travis Ranney, John Hansen, Jon Hamar and Steve Korn in a live studio session at Music Works Northwest. The CD has the benefit of imaginative arrangements as well as the immediacy of a live performance and the quality of a studio recording. The individual musicians are all at the top of their game.
Also this week, singer Eugenie Jones debut release, a new CD by David Friesen in honor of his late son, Scott, and vocalist and bass player Clipper Anderson sings a rarely heard song by Cahn & Styne. Some suggestions for live jazz in the area are also included.
Jazz Northwest is recorded and produced exclusively for 88.5 KPLU and airs on Sunday afternoons at 2 PM Pacific. It is also available as a podcast at kplu.org after the broadcast.
Next week, Jazz Northwest will present highlights from a concert at the Seattle Art Museum by Dutch saxophonist Tineke Postma recorded during her first visit to the Pacific Northwest.