Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Here's What The Big I-90 Closure Will Look Like. How Will You Survive?
- Study Finds MRSA 'Superbug' Lurking At Washington Firehouses
- 5 Reasons Eating Bugs Could Save The World, According To Seattle's Own 'Bug Chef'
- When A Bomb Goes Off During Your Study On Trauma: New UW Findings On PTSD
- Report Shows Coal, Oil Trains Would Quadruple Rail Traffic, Alarming Lawmakers
News & Music Contributors
Food for Thought
Wed January 1, 2014
Nancy & Dick's Swell Christmas Cooking Scores
Every year my wife, the lovely and talented Cheryl DeGroot, and I vow to skip the presents. This year was no different. We both broke the pledge.
DG presented me with the beautiful shoyusashi (soy sauce vessel) by potter Reid Ozaki shown above. See that little plug on top? It's hollow. You cover the hole and when you lift your finger the soy sauce is released. Cool, no? We've both followed and collected Reid's pots for many years.
When I showed it to Nancy Leson, she couldn't resist bragging on the vintage carbon steel knife she scored for her husband, Mac. I love carbon. Easy to sharpen. So it gets stained — who cares?
And, and, AND a giant Thank You to my sister Debbie in Annapolis for the giant box – like ten pounds worth – of flat parchment paper which she claims fell off the back of a truck. Thanks, 'Loot – now I can bake every day for the rest of my life.
What cool cooking/eating gear did you give or receive? And what about food-related New Year's resolutions? The only one I've ever kept was years back when I resolved never to make another New Year's resolution. It's possible you're more ambitious. If so, please share.
"...so much kitchen equipment is bought indiscriminately by people who just came in for underwear."
– Julia Child