Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- UW's MOOC On Public Speaking Proving To Be Massively Popular
- How To Make Your Own Crème Fraîche — And Why You Should
- Washington's 'Pot Czar' Says Legal Marijuana Could Be Too Cheap
- Washington's 'Swift And Certain' Parole Reforms Getting Results And Attention
- Seattle Artist Turning Centuries-Old Pieces Of Wood Into One-Of-A-Kind Sculptures
News & Music Contributors
Fourth of July Fireworks
Tue April 9, 2013
Mayor reignites Seattle fireworks plans
Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn says the city may have a big fireworks display this Fourth of July after all.
McGinn says the city is working with the Seattle Metro Chamber of Commerce and Seafair on a sustainable fireworks plan.
He says he's optimistic there will be a display this year at Gasworks Park and hopes to announce details soon.
The organization producing the fireworks show announced this year's show won't happen because it wasn't able to raise $500,000 by the April 1 deadline.
The show is watched by hundreds of thousands of people around Lake Union or viewing on TV. Corporate sponsorship ended in 2010 and smaller businesses and individuals raised the needed money the past three years.