Most Active Stories
- Mystery man revealed : The daredevil behind the lens
- Skagit Valley eatery goes for the laughs to attract business
- Watch: Seattle Public Library tries to break record for longest book-domino chain
- North Cascades Nat'l Park named one of 10 'hidden gems' in U.S.
- Epiphany! Make an iceberg-blue cheese layer cake
News & Music Contributors
KPLU Studio Session
Legendary vibraphonist Gary Burton performs live at KPLU
Here’s a rare treat; a solo performance from 6-time Grammy Award-winning vibraphonist, Gary Burton. In his 50-year (and counting) recording career, Burton has recorded with many different group configurations and has done a number of duo recordings with artists including bassist, Steve Swallow, guitarist, Ralph Towner and most famously, pianist, Chick Corea, but we rarely get to hear him all by himself.
In this performance interview with KPLU/Jazz24 program host, Abe Beeson, it’s just Gary Burton and his vibes...and it’s wonderful. During their conversation, Gary talks about the first time he performed in a duo setting with Chick Corea. He also recalls the circumstances that caused him to master the technique of using four mallets (two in each hand) when playing the vibes, rather than just two, which was the standard when Burton first took up the instrument. Along the way, he also delivers three masterful solo vibraphone performances, O Grande Amour, Blame It On My Youth and My Romance.