Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Grieving Widow Helps Spearhead First-Of-Its-Kind State Law On Suicide Prevention
- Central Wash. Home To Nation's Biggest Bitcoin Mine, More Coming
- Everything You Need To Know About Woodland Park Zoo's Precious Doo
- Seattle-Area Skygazers May See Glimpse Of 'Blood Moon' — If They're Persistent
- TurboTax Offers Taxpayers Option Of Getting Refund In Amazon Gift Card
News & Music Contributors
Sun February 17, 2013
Jazz Northwest for February 18
Esperanza Spalding grew up in Portland, and one her mentors was trumpet player and educator Thara Memory. The two were reunited on stage at the 55th Grammy Awards as they were awarded a Grammy for their co- arrangement of "City Of Roses" named for their hometown, Portland, OR. The song is one of the originals on Esperanza Spalding's latest CD, "Radio Music Society" which also won a Grammy for Best Jazz Vocal Album. The song is one of the features on this week's Jazz Northwest.
Also featured on this show are some new and slightly twisted versions of jazz classics, a few nominees for Earshot’s Golden Ear Awards, news about this week’s Portland Jazz Festival and other live jazz around the Northwest. Jazz Northwest is hosted by Jim Wilke and is heard exclusively on 88.5 KPLU each Sunday at 2 PM and also available as a podcast at kplu.org after the broadcast.
Next week (2/24), highlights from a concert by flugelhorn player Dmitri Matheny's Quartet recorded at the Seattle Art Museum.