Most Active Stories
- Five things you should know about the proposed marijuana rules
- Daredevil photographer posts photos taken at dizzying heights
- 3 pulled from Skagit River after I-5 bridge collapse in Mount Vernon
- 'Pot-bellied' pig: Local butcher spikes pig feed with weed
- 'Staggering' rate hike under Obamacare no longer likely
News & Music Contributors
Jazz Northwest for February 18
Esperanza Spalding grew up in Portland, and one her mentors was trumpet player and educator Thara Memory. The two were reunited on stage at the 55th Grammy Awards as they were awarded a Grammy for their co- arrangement of "City Of Roses" named for their hometown, Portland, OR. The song is one of the originals on Esperanza Spalding's latest CD, "Radio Music Society" which also won a Grammy for Best Jazz Vocal Album. The song is one of the features on this week's Jazz Northwest.
Also featured on this show are some new and slightly twisted versions of jazz classics, a few nominees for Earshot’s Golden Ear Awards, news about this week’s Portland Jazz Festival and other live jazz around the Northwest. Jazz Northwest is hosted by Jim Wilke and is heard exclusively on 88.5 KPLU each Sunday at 2 PM and also available as a podcast at kplu.org after the broadcast.
Next week (2/24), highlights from a concert by flugelhorn player Dmitri Matheny's Quartet recorded at the Seattle Art Museum.