Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Bellingham Store First To Open, Sell Legal Pot In Wash., Seattle Store Follows
- Where The First State-Licensed Pot Shops Are, And Why Some Will Wait To Open
- The Map Of Native American Tribes You've Never Seen Before
- Little-Known Medical Marijuana Loophole Allows Teens To Get Lots of Pot
- Deaf Student Claims Medical School In Yakima Denied Him Access
News & Music Contributors
Kennedy Center HOnors
Thu September 12, 2013
Herbie Hancock to Receive Kennedy Center Honors
Jazz legend Herbie Hancock is among four musicians who will receive this year's Kennedy Center Honors, along with actress Shirley MacLaine.
The Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts announced the selections Thursday. The honorees also include Billie Joel, Carlos Santana, and opera star Martina Arroyo.
The award is the nation's highest honor for those who influence American culture through the arts. President Barack Obama hosts the honorees at the White House, and Secretary of State John Kerry hosts a dinner in their honor.
Top entertainers will salute the honorees in a gala performance Dec. 8 to be broadcast Dec. 29 on CBS.
This is the first year of a revised selection process after a group last year said the Kennedy Center had long excluded Latinos from the prize.