Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Grieving Widow Helps Spearhead First-Of-Its-Kind State Law On Suicide Prevention
- Everything You Need To Know About Woodland Park Zoo's Precious Doo
- Seattle-Area Skygazers May See Glimpse Of 'Blood Moon' — If They're Persistent
- Join Dick Stein And Nancy Leson For A Food For Thought 'Happy Hour'
- TurboTax Offers Taxpayers Option Of Getting Refund In Amazon Gift Card
News & Music Contributors
Hanford Nuclear Reservation
Tue May 22, 2012
Hearing Focuses On Progress Of Hanford's Safety Culture
Originally published on Tue May 22, 2012 5:33 pm
The Hanford Nuclear Reservation’s waste treatment plant is making progress on improving its safety culture. That’s the upshot of a hearing Tuesday in Washington, D.C. before a federal nuclear watchdog agency. But not everyone familiar with the nuclear site agreed with that positive assessment.
The Department of Energy and its Hanford contractors have been under intense scrutiny after several whistleblowers and federal investigators found a “flawed” safety culture at the nuclear site. The hearing at the Defense Nuclear Facilities Safety Board was a progress report.
The Energy Department’s David Huizenga testified that major contractors on the waste treatment plant project are being offered new financial incentives to pay closer attention to safety. But one union worker, John David alleges he was fired from his position at Bechtel just last month after he raised safety concerns. He blames Bechtel’s Hanford manager Frank Russo.
“He doesn’t listen to us, his team doesn’t listen to us," David says. "They fire us.”
Bechtel spokesman Todd Nelson says David was fired after he violated work rules developed by both the contractor and the unions.
On the Web:
Defense Nuclear Facilities Safety Board:
Copyright 2012 Northwest Public Radio