Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Marysville-Pilchuck High Student Kills 1, Injures 4 Before Taking Own Life
- Listen: The Moment That Inspired A Seattle Man To Sideline His Business And Help The Homeless
- Listen: Can You Pick Out The Northwest Accent? (And Yes, We Have One!)
- Sheriff: School Shooter Invited Friends To Meet In Cafeteria Before Opening Fire
- Just Back From Spain, Nancy Leson Offers A Few Pointers On Paella
News & Music Contributors
Fri June 28, 2013
`Grey's Anatomy' actor Dempsey to complete Tully's purchase
If all goes according to plan, Tully’s will have a new celebrity owner come Monday. That’s when actor Patrick Dempsey’s investment group is set to complete its purchase of the struggling coffee chain out of bankruptcy.
Dempsey’s purchase of Tully’s won approval from a bankruptcy judge in January, but it’s taken a while to close the deal. One big reason had to do with Boeing. Dempsey had to negotiate a new agreement with the aerospace giant for the 13 Tully’s coffee shops inside Boeing facilities.
But now he’s done that, and it looks likely that the "Grey’s Anatomy" star known as McDreamy will take control of the 48 Tully’s shops on Monday.
Former Starbucks President Howard Behar says Tully’s needs to focus on setting itself apart and not try to duplicate Starbucks.
"Who are you, and why should I go to you aside from the fact that you sell coffee?" Behar said. "There’s lots of places that sell coffee."
Behar says treating employees well is one of the biggest keys to success. Dempsey has promised to keep Tully’s staff in place. That was one reason the judge allowed Dempsey to buy Tully’s instead of a competing offer from a group led by Starbucks.