Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Grieving Widow Helps Spearhead First-Of-Its-Kind State Law On Suicide Prevention
- Seattle Business Owners Turn To An Unlikely Source Of Consultants: UW Undergrads
- Join Dick Stein And Nancy Leson For A Food For Thought 'Happy Hour'
- Seattle-Area Skygazers May See Glimpse Of 'Blood Moon' — If They're Persistent
- Everything You Need To Know About Woodland Park Zoo's Precious Doo
News & Music Contributors
Washington State Legislature
Fri March 2, 2012
GOP senators take control of Washington Senate
Originally published on Fri March 2, 2012 12:00 am
GOP Senators Take Control Of Washington Senate
copy for now March 2, 2012 Austin Jenkins/cf
OLYMPIA, Wash. - It's been a day of high drama in the Washington state Senate. Republicans took control of the chamber with the help of three Democratic colleagues. Senate Republican Leader Mike Hewitt told reporters that GOP Senators, in his words, "unlocked the gridlock" over the state budget. Earlier, Democratic budget writers said they were one vote shy of passing their proposal to plug a gap in the state's two year spending plan.
Senate Democratic leader Lisa Brown blasted Republicans for bringing a GOP-backed budget to the Senate floor without any time for review or amendments.
Copyright 2012 Northwest News Network