Most Active Stories
- Mystery man revealed : The daredevil behind the lens
- Skagit Valley eatery goes for the laughs to attract business
- Watch: Seattle Public Library tries to break record for longest book-domino chain
- North Cascades Nat'l Park named one of 10 'hidden gems' in U.S.
- Epiphany! Make an iceberg-blue cheese layer cake
News & Music Contributors
GOP Senate hopeful latest to endorse legal pot
The campaign to legalize and tax marijuana for adults in Washington state is rolling, with more than $1 million in new contributions reported since last week and a surprising endorsement from Republican U.S. Senate hopeful Michael Baumgartner.
The money is mostly from retired Progressive Insurance founder Peter Lewis and means Initiative 502's backers have raised nearly $4.1 million over the course of the campaign, with $1.2 million left to spend. Alison Holcomb, campaign manager for New Approach Washington, says her group is planning a broader television campaign.
Meanwhile, Baumgartner's decision to endorse the initiative Wednesday gave the campaign one of its highest-profile Republican supporters yet. Baumgartner is running a longshot bid to unseat Democratic U.S. Sen. Maria Cantwell, who came out against the initiative Wednesday afternoon.