Most Active Stories
- Mass: 'Extensive Lowland Snow' Likely Friday Morning
- Organic Milk More Nutritious than Regular Milk, WSU Study Finds
- The Life Of A First-Year Teacher, In Six Emotional Stages
- 5 Tips to Help You Look Better on Skype, FaceTime
- State Officials Seize Cold Snap, Freeze Out Invasive Snails In Capitol Lake
News & Music Contributors
Wed February 27, 2013
Geriatric sea otter takes it to the hoop at Oregon Zoo
Nothing but net? No problem for one sporty sea otter at the Oregon Zoo.
Eddie the otter has been trained to dunk a basketball through a small plastic hoop. It's an exercise a veterinarian recommended for his arthritic elbows.
Eddie is 15, quite old for a sea otter. But as they put it at the Oregon Zoo, he's got game.
Eddie makes most of his shots. But when he misses, he hits the boards, grabs the rebound and goes up again until he scores.
Keeper Jenny DeGroot notes sea otters have incredible dexterity, so Eddie's hidden talent for hoops isn't that surprising.
No word on whether the Portland Trail Blazers are interested in signing the sea otter to help snap their six-game losing streak, but coach Terry Stotts did major in zoology.