Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Marysville-Pilchuck High Student Kills 1, Injures 4 Before Taking Own Life
- Listen: Can You Pick Out The Northwest Accent? (And Yes, We Have One!)
- Listen: The Moment That Inspired A Seattle Man To Sideline His Business And Help The Homeless
- Sheriff: School Shooter Invited Friends To Meet In Cafeteria Before Opening Fire
- Just Back From Spain, Nancy Leson Offers A Few Pointers On Paella
News & Music Contributors
Fri July 11, 2014
Fly Like An Eagle: Site Picks The Best Aerial Drone Photos
Originally published on Fri July 11, 2014 9:15 am
An eagle soars above a national park in Bali, Indonesia. A waterfall in Mexico is seen from above its shelf of cascading water. Those are the top two finishers in a contest held to find the best images captured by cameras mounted on aerial drones. The winners were recently unveiled by the site Dronestagram.
The website chose winners by two methods: a juried competition, and the images' popularity among the site's visitors (see the top three images in each category). The contest was sponsored by National Geographic France.
One image, taken at low altitude in Manila, Philippines, captured the smiles of kids and others watching a drone hover above them.
"Went back to my hometown in the Philippines," the photographer, identified as jericsaniel, wrote. "I was flying in the park one Sunday morning when suddenly people had become really interested with my drone."
Another image captures the sunset over the picturesque French town of Annecy, south of Geneva, Switzerland.