Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Here's What The Big I-90 Closure Will Look Like. How Will You Survive?
- Study Finds MRSA 'Superbug' Lurking At Washington Firehouses
- Report Shows Coal, Oil Trains Would Quadruple Rail Traffic, Alarming Lawmakers
- When A Bomb Goes Off During Your Study On Trauma: New UW Findings On PTSD
- Why Seattle Homeless Advocates Feel Vacant Downtown Building Is Rightfully Theirs
News & Music Contributors
Tue March 20, 2012
Federal lab, PNNL, in Richland to lay off 45
RICHLAND, Wash. — The Pacific Northwest National Laboratory plans to lay off 45 employees this week.
The cutbacks are in order to adjust to the latest federal budget approved in December.
The Department of Energy national lab based in Richland employs 4,758 people and gets 93 percent of its budget from federal agencies.
The 45 layoffs that could come this week are in addition to almost 70 layoffs in the past 12 months, which included 23 voluntary layoffs. Only a couple of the 45 layoffs this week will be voluntary.