Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- UW's MOOC On Public Speaking Proving To Be Massively Popular
- How To Make Your Own Crème Fraîche — And Why You Should
- Washington's 'Pot Czar' Says Legal Marijuana Could Be Too Cheap
- UW Professor Traces Growing Income Gap To The Collapse Of Organized Labor
- Washington's 'Swift And Certain' Parole Reforms Getting Results And Attention
News & Music Contributors
Tue March 20, 2012
Federal lab, PNNL, in Richland to lay off 45
RICHLAND, Wash. — The Pacific Northwest National Laboratory plans to lay off 45 employees this week.
The cutbacks are in order to adjust to the latest federal budget approved in December.
The Department of Energy national lab based in Richland employs 4,758 people and gets 93 percent of its budget from federal agencies.
The 45 layoffs that could come this week are in addition to almost 70 layoffs in the past 12 months, which included 23 voluntary layoffs. Only a couple of the 45 layoffs this week will be voluntary.