Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Bellingham Store First To Open, Sell Legal Pot In Wash., Seattle Store Follows
- Where The First State-Licensed Pot Shops Are, And Why Some Will Wait To Open
- Get The Best Seats To 'Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me!' Before They Go On Sale!
- Record Number Of King Co. Teens Pledging To Good Grades, Behavior For Free College
- King County Data Shows Heroin Deaths Among Young Adults On The Rise
News & Music Contributors
Wed July 24, 2013
DEA Raids Pot Dispensaries in Puget Sound Area
Federal agents have raided a number of medical marijuana dispensaries in the Puget Sound region.
Drug Enforcement Administration spokeswoman Jodie Underwood said Wednesday afternoon the operation was under way. She declined to immediately provide details about how many dispensaries were being targeted or how many search warrants were being executed.
Washington state legalized adult possession of up to an ounce of marijuana last fall, but marijuana remains illegal under federal law.
Seattle medical marijuana attorney Douglas Hiatt said the targeted dispensaries include Seattle Cross, Tacoma Cross and Bayside Collective in Olympia.
Bayside employee Addy Norton said agents seized personal cell phones of dispensary workers and pot, but left computers and about $1,000 in cash. Agents told her the raid was part of a two-year investigation, and she said she was ordered to appear before a federal grand jury in Seattle in September.
The raid came just days after Bayside was burglarized on Sunday night.