Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Grieving Widow Helps Spearhead First-Of-Its-Kind State Law On Suicide Prevention
- Everything You Need To Know About Woodland Park Zoo's Precious Doo
- Seattle-Area Skygazers May See Glimpse Of 'Blood Moon' — If They're Persistent
- Join Dick Stein And Nancy Leson For A Food For Thought 'Happy Hour'
- TurboTax Offers Taxpayers Option Of Getting Refund In Amazon Gift Card
News & Music Contributors
Fri December 10, 2010
Dave Niehaus 'life celebration' Saturday at Safeco Field
The Seattle Mariners will hold a “Public Celebration of Life” for late broadcaster Dave Niehaus tomorrow. Scheduled start is just after 1 p.m. Saturday at Safeco Field.
Family, players and close associates will pay tribute to Niehaus, the only play-by-play announcer the team has ever had. He died of a heart attack last month at the age of 75.
MLB.com reports the speaker's list includes Mariner greats and Niehause family members:
Edgar Martinez has been added to the list of speakers for the memorial, joining former teammates Dan Wilson and Jay Buhner, former broadcaster Ron Fairly, two of Niehaus' children, Andy Niehaus and Greta Niehaus Dunn, as well as life-long baseball fan Marlaina Lieberg.
The tribute will be held in the seating bowl at Safeco Field. Gates will open at noon. There will be free parking in the Safeco Field garage. The roof will be closed if necessary, but the team is advising fans to dress warmly.
The National Weather Service predicts heavy rainfall this weekend, especially intense Saturday night through Sunday.
The event will be carried live on the Mariners' website.
Check out a video from MLB.com of the first memorial remembrance for Niehaus held at Safeco Field shortly after his death.