Most Active Stories
- Public Party Planned for One-Year Anniversary of Legal Pot
- ‘Can We Buy a Little Less and Share a Little More?’
- Mass: Bundle Up! Worst of the Cold Snap to Arrive this Weekend
- St. Louis Machinists President: Keep 777X in Washington
- Join Us for the 17th Annual KPLU Christmas Jam Holiday Concert and Live Broadcast
News & Music Contributors
KPLU Studio Sessions
Cyrus Chestnut: Solo piano with ‘The Nutman’
Pianist Cyrus Chestnut came onto the jazz scene slowly. From the mid-1980’s to mid-1990’s, he apprenticed as pianist for Jon Hendricks, Better Carter, Donald Harrison and Wynton Marsalis. Since then he has toured the world numerous times and recorded 15 albums as a leader.
In this performance/interview Cyrus talks about his gospel roots, his discovery of jazz and how he approaches interpreting other composers’ music. He also gives us his solo piano versions of Tonk, Polka Dots and Moonbeams and a new, original composition called No Problem, which is also included on his latest CD, The Cyrus Chestnut Quartet.