Most Active Stories
- Public Party Planned for One-Year Anniversary of Legal Pot
- ‘Can We Buy a Little Less and Share a Little More?’
- Mass: Bundle Up! Worst of the Cold Snap to Arrive this Weekend
- St. Louis Machinists President: Keep 777X in Washington
- Join Us for the 17th Annual KPLU Christmas Jam Holiday Concert and Live Broadcast
News & Music Contributors
Coast Guard says add crew to Washington ferries
EVERETT, Wash. — Washington State Ferries chief David Mosely says the agency will have to hire nine to 12 employees to comply with a Coast Guard order to increase staffing for safety.
The Coast Guard sent a letter to the state Friday ordering revised staffing by the end of November.
Mosely told The Daily Herald (http://is.gd/pOfWVY) he's not sure how much the revised staffing will cost, but it's more than the ferry system has in its budget.
The state reduced ferry staffing in June to save money. Since then dozens of runs have been canceled when a crew members fails to show up because of illness or other reasons.
Washington State Ferries