Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Here's What The Big I-90 Closure Will Look Like. How Will You Survive?
- Study Finds MRSA 'Superbug' Lurking At Washington Firehouses
- 5 Reasons Eating Bugs Could Save The World, According To Seattle's Own 'Bug Chef'
- When A Bomb Goes Off During Your Study On Trauma: New UW Findings On PTSD
- Report Shows Coal, Oil Trains Would Quadruple Rail Traffic, Alarming Lawmakers
News & Music Contributors
Fri January 1, 2010
Clear Conscience Recipe
- 1/4 large tangerine or 1 large orange wedge
- 6 thin slices cucumber
- 1 fresh lemon verbena leaf (or substitute lemon thyme, lemon balm or kaffir lime leaf)
- 3 ounces fresh lemon-lime sour (see recipe below)
- 2 ounces chilled soda water
For garnishing: sprig of fresh lemon verbena leaf and/or paper-thin slice of cucumber
Squeeze the tangerine (or orange wedge) into a cocktail shaker and drop in. Add the cucumber and lemon verbena and press with a muddler to release their flavors. Fill the shaker with ice. Measure in the sour. Cap and shake vigorously. Add the soda, then strain into a large martini glass. Garnish as desired.
Fresh Lemon-Lime Sour (makes two cups)
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 cup simple syrup (see recipe below)
In a medium container or pitcher with a lid, combine the ingredients. Cover and keep refrigerated for up to two weeks.
Simple Syrup (makes three cups)
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
Mix the water and sugar together in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Let boil 1 minute, then immediately remove from the heat. Let cool to room temperature before using. Store in a clean glass bottle or container, at room temperature, for up to 2 weeks or, refrigerated, for up to 3 months.
Recipes from "Sips & Apps" (Chronicle Books) by Kathy Casey