Most Active Stories
- Why Washington State Was Named #1 Most Innovative State By Bloomberg
- Mass On Friday Snow Forecast: Latest Models Show 'This Front Is Coming'
- Mass: 'Extensive Lowland Snow' Likely Friday Morning
- State Officials Seize Cold Snap, Freeze Out Invasive Snails In Capitol Lake
- Woman Who Got Secret Santa Gift From Bill Gates: Sorry About The iPad On My Wishlist
News & Music Contributors
KPLU Studio Sessions
Sat May 26, 2012
Blues singer Janiva Magness takes the next step
Blues singer Janiva Magness just released a new CD, Stronger For It, and was recently in town performing at Jazz Alley. She and her 4-piece band visited KPLU’s Seattle Studio and performed 4 songs from the new CD. It’s her 9th release, but the first to feature songs written by her.
Along the way, we talk about the evolution of her music over the years, how it’s moved from a more traditional sound to a more rootsy and soulful place. She also opens up a bit about the emotional life of a singer, the toll it takes and the satisfaction it brings.
Another first is that her touring band also played on the album, and their live sound is very polished, with tight arrangements. The band is Zach Zunis-guitar, Gary Davenport-bass, Jim Alfredson-keys and Matt Tecu-drums. They all sing, and it really ups the energy when all 5 are harmonizing together.
KPLU has been playing Janiva’s music for many years, well before her rise to the top ranks of the blues world, and we were very happy to welcome her for this session.