Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- 'We Don't Know Each Other': Film Explores Tension Between Africans & African Americans
- Study Finds MRSA 'Superbug' Lurking At Washington Firehouses
- 5 Reasons Eating Bugs Could Save The World, According To Seattle's Own 'Bug Chef'
- When A Bomb Goes Off During Your Study On Trauma: New UW Findings On PTSD
- Report Faults Seattle Schools For 'Lack Of Urgency' In Serving Most Vulnerable Students
News & Music Contributors
Jazz and Blues
Sun November 24, 2013
Bill Anschell's Peru Trio on Jazz NW
Pianist Bill Anschell was born in Seattle and began his career here, but he's ranged far and wide since then. He's been a jazz coordinator for the Southern Arts Federation, produced radio programs, been musical director and pianist for Nnenna Freelon with whom he toured and recorded, and he's toured widely in South America.
One of those tours was last year in Peru with his Seattle trio, Chris Symer on bass and Jeff "Bongo" Busch on drums and percussion. This trio was featured in this month's Art of Jazz concert at the Seattle Art Museum, presented by Earshot and recorded for Jazz Northwest. It was a particularly apt choice for the series as it compliments the current exhibition at SAM, "Peru: Kingdoms of the Sun and Moon" which continues through January 5.
The Bill Anschell Trio plays three pieces of Peruvian music adapted for this trio along with original music by the pianist on Jazz Northwest, Sunday November 24 at 2 PM Pacific on 88.5 KPLU. The program is also streamed at kplu.org and available as a podcast following the broadcast.
Jazz Northwest is recorded and produced by Jim Wilke exclusively for KPLU.