Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Grieving Widow Helps Spearhead First-Of-Its-Kind State Law On Suicide Prevention
- Central Wash. Home To Nation's Biggest Bitcoin Mine, More Coming
- Everything You Need To Know About Woodland Park Zoo's Precious Doo
- Seattle-Area Skygazers May See Glimpse Of 'Blood Moon' — If They're Persistent
- TurboTax Offers Taxpayers Option Of Getting Refund In Amazon Gift Card
News & Music Contributors
Sun April 8, 2012
Benny Carter's "Peaceful Warrior Suite" by The Seattle Repertory Jazz Orchestra
Highlights from a recent concert by The Seattle Repertory Jazz Orchestra will air on Jazz Northwest from 88.5 KPLU on Sunday, April 8 at 1 PM PDT. The concert features music by jazz great Benny Carter and the centerpiece is "The Peaceful Warrior Suite" - a Tribute to the Rev. Dr.Martin Luther King. The five-movement suite includes excerpts from Rev.King's speeches, bass-baritone Everett Greene and a small string section with The Seattle Repertory Jazz Orchestra, co-directed by Clarence Acox and Michael Brockman.
This concert was recorded on March 4 at Kirkland Performance Center and was one of a series of pairs of concerts celebrating the big band jazz tradition from the 30s to the present. The next pair of concerts on April 21 and 22 will focus on modern compositions by Seattle area composers. Details are available at srjo.org .
Jazz Northwest is recorded and produced by Jim Wilke exclusively for 88.5 KPLU and streamed at kplu.org. A podcast is available after the airdate.