Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- UW's MOOC On Public Speaking Proving To Be Massively Popular
- How To Make Your Own Crème Fraîche — And Why You Should
- Washington's 'Pot Czar' Says Legal Marijuana Could Be Too Cheap
- UW Professor Traces Growing Income Gap To The Collapse Of Organized Labor
- Seattle Artist Turning Centuries-Old Pieces Of Wood Into One-Of-A-Kind Sculptures
News & Music Contributors
Sun April 8, 2012
Benny Carter's "Peaceful Warrior Suite" by The Seattle Repertory Jazz Orchestra
Highlights from a recent concert by The Seattle Repertory Jazz Orchestra will air on Jazz Northwest from 88.5 KPLU on Sunday, April 8 at 1 PM PDT. The concert features music by jazz great Benny Carter and the centerpiece is "The Peaceful Warrior Suite" - a Tribute to the Rev. Dr.Martin Luther King. The five-movement suite includes excerpts from Rev.King's speeches, bass-baritone Everett Greene and a small string section with The Seattle Repertory Jazz Orchestra, co-directed by Clarence Acox and Michael Brockman.
This concert was recorded on March 4 at Kirkland Performance Center and was one of a series of pairs of concerts celebrating the big band jazz tradition from the 30s to the present. The next pair of concerts on April 21 and 22 will focus on modern compositions by Seattle area composers. Details are available at srjo.org .
Jazz Northwest is recorded and produced by Jim Wilke exclusively for 88.5 KPLU and streamed at kplu.org. A podcast is available after the airdate.